Saturday, November 3, 2012

Snow Canyon Half Marathon 2012....Yes, I ran it!!

 Well, today was the Snow Canyon Half Marathon, in beautiful southern Utah. This is the first half marathon I have ever entered. I met up with rand Bracken, for those who might remember him, he was at DRMC back in the late 90's as an Orderly, and training as a Scrub....but mostly pursuing his RN. I work with Rand, CRNA at MVRH. Anyways, he was with his Sister in law, Brook. We took the bus up to the start together and hung out in the bone, chilling cold of the early morning.I went with the idea of just to "do it", not really race, but I did a lot better than I thought I would. I finished with a 2:32:00 time. Not bad for a fat runner doing his first half!! Heck, I actually passed up quite a few folks. Rand and Brook both did great too.I wore my "Team Ethan" shirt, which has the Childhood Cancer Awareness sayings on it, and I got a lot of positive gestures from other runners. I plan to have more made up...I was actually going to try to see about sponsorship through Nevada Childhood Cancer Foundation ( http://www.nvccf.org/ ), for shirts and entry fees. I like running, and maybe I can raise funds or even just awareness. It's a win-win! I get in shape, lose more weight, and also do something good for Ethan or the NVCCF, even if it's just awareness, which might help more in the long run through research.
So, what's it gonna take for you to run? If you have a weight issue, or need to be fit, or just want to feel good, and you haven't run since childhood, I have a link for you that will show you how to go from the couch to a 5k.... http://www.coolrunning.com/ can give you all the info you need to help get you started. Don't fight it...just do it. You'll feel better both physically and mentally...I promise!! I have to say, that I feel better than I have in years and the weight loss is a bonus! Losing weight makes so many tasks easier....tying my shoes...walking up stairs...anything that has to do with bending over is improved 10 fold!! Heck, I don't have to put my belt on my pants, prior to putting them on. If you're big, you know what I mean! You don't have to be a fanatic, you just have to start. If all you have to do is something like this, and it puts years on your life....well, if you're a kid with cancer, you'd do it!...for a guaranteed extension of life...you know they would. You should too! Let's go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment